Re: [Evolution] Changing folder sort order

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 14:34 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 12:31 +0800, Not Zed wrote:

#!/bin/sh
export LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
/opt/gnome-2.8/bin/evolution-2.0 $@ &

Thanks Guenther.  If I *do* want to change it globally, how do I go
about doing that?  Not too familiar with local options, but being in the
US I want whatever UTF-8 variant applies.  Currently I have:

Normally you can select it from the login window, like on the gdm
screen.

Also, evolution forces a utf8 variant when it starts up, otherwise
many things don't work properly, so you don't normally have to
explictly set that as such (but it certainly doesn't hurt for interop
with other apps).

en_US might sort case insenstively (like en_AU and en_GB do), althoug
you'd have to try it, whereas C wont, as you are seeing.

Hmmmm...I've selected en_US, but Evo is still sorting case sensitive.  I
don't remember this happening previously.  Anything else I might check?

What do you mean by "selected"? Where did you change your locale and
which ones are affected exactly?

In a previous post you posted the output of 'locale' and it was set to C
for most of your locale vars. Which actually sorts uppercase before
lowercase.

The relevant environment variable is LC_COLLATE. Open a terminal and run
the following command to see that current setting:

$ echo $LC_COLLATE

Anyway, this might not reflect your setting when using X, as they differ
on some distributions. To reliably set this var and run Evo with the
custom one, run Evo from a terminal like this:

$ LC_COLLATE=en_US evolution

This *will* sort case insensitive -- unless your locales are broken.

If you don't find out how to set your X locales properly (if they differ
from the terminal ones) you can use a script like I mentioned in a

...guenther