Re: [Evolution] What Do I Do Now (was POP3 not downloading all messages)

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:59 -0500, Paul Harouff wrote:
On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:43 -0500, Paul Harouff wrote:
On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 10:52 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
There are two alternatives:
1. don't do this, but then you get duplicate downloads.  on a
really flakey connection you may never (in a practical sense) get
all your mail and get lots of duplicates.
2. delete the old ones always.  this assumes we can trust the
info, otherwise you could remove non-duplicate mails.

I'm leaning toward 2, but it complicates the code a bit.

The only problem is it looks to me that these mails were never
downloaded. Of the 22, I read three on the web which I want to save
by downloading them and archiving. The others I never read.

Sorry, I should get all my thoughts completed before pressing send.

Now that we know the possible cause, what do I do now. The messages
are stuck on the server and I want to get them downloaded.

Maybe fetchmail would work.  It can be configured to drop the
email in /var/mail/$HOME, I think.

Run the attached python script, to see if a POP client can see
your emails.

Usage:
python pop_ls.py your.isps.pop.server your.userid your.password

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"He was about as useful in a crisis as a sheep."
Dorothy Eden