Re: [Evolution] Filtering folders other than INBOX

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 01:04, Andrew Cowie wrote:
[snip]

- finding out about new messages is already unreliable at best,
searching all folders for them would also impact performance a lot

But evo is already doing that for each IMAP folder. So how much worse
would it be to then hook up the filter mechanism?

the current imap code is only issuing a STATUS command for the folders
to find out unread counts (which is what I presume you are referring to
here).

if we were to filter it, we'd have to SELECT the folder first, request
new message headers/flags/etc to build a summary (we'd also have to
request flags for all already known messages) and then, for each message
marked with a \Recent flag, we'd have to download the message(s) and
pass them off to the filtering code.

that should give you some idea of the performance problems...

Jeff