Re: [Evolution] Filtering folders other than INBOX

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 12:29 +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
In an IMAP account, one can tell Evolution to automatically apply
filters to new messages coming in in INBOX.

Is there a away this could be changed to to all folders [or, perhaps all
new messages?]
Only by using server-side rules.
I note that the Junkmail settings include an option "check for junk in
all folders"; we already have significant junk testing (sa, etc)
happening server side, but we also have server side sorting into various
folders - result, I get new messages all over the place.
If you already have server-side filtering, why would you want to slow it down and do it on the client too?
[This is in place to make webmail worthwhile. I could, of course, jsut
have everything come through INBOX and have evolution sort them client
side, but it would make our webmail interface largely useless as my
inbox there would be crammed full. I'm on the road enough that I
regrettably cannot always get a laptop with Evolution hooked up to the
internet to do the sorting]

It would be brilliant if filters could be automatically applied to new
messages regardless of the folder they come in on, rather than just
INBOX.
There are several technical reasons why this is difficult, and philosophical reasons why it is bad:
- client side filtering is already not a great idea, this would make any delays you already experience somewhat worse.
- with most servers there is no way to know if the mail has already been filtered by evolution or not
- finding out about new messages is already unreliable at best, searching all folders for them would also impact performance a lot
- server-side filtering, if you already have it, is entirely the way to go anyway
- semantically only filtering inbox fits in the idea of what inbox is, if its not going into inbox it''s already been filtered.
I looked through the list archives but couldn't find anything to answer
this - sorry if it's been discussed recently.

AfC

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"