Re: [Evolution] empty folders after upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4

The mentioned issues seem pretty strange to me...

I needed to reload a new OS onto my computer. I copied
all of my 1.2 folders onto a windows share then
reformatted my hard drive and loaded FreeBSD and
Evolution 1.4.

"loaded Evolution"? You did not actually start Evolution 1.4 before you
restored your backup, did you?

Did you see a note about importing your old 1.2.x data?

I copied the folders back and now the
trouble is that some folders look fine while others
appear to be empty even though they have a mbox with
mail in them.

If you really copied all the files, I'll bet you have some file
permission/ownership issues (the Windows filesystem is more primitive
than UNIX-like ones).  That'll be hard to resolve if you don't know what
they're supposed to be.

Very likely.

Although this will have some security implications, I don't see how
permissions will affect only *some* of the folders. Well, I don't see it
anyway... ;)

Good luck getting your mail back.  It sounds like it's still there, at
least.  You should probably shut down Evolution, rename your evolution
directory ("mv evolution evolution.old"), start Evolution from scratch,
then as Tomislav said, set up your mail account(s), then import the old
mbox files from wherever they're stored under evolution.old.

FWIW: You can drag-n-drop mbox files into Evolution, to import them into
the currently opened mail folder. (Note, that mbox file will be removed,
as this is a move action rather than copy. A backup of that
evolution.old folder may come in handy...)

Mark, do you still have that backup? Save it, burn it to CD, store it in
a safe place. ;)

Maybe there are some of the indexing files broken. You can remove all of
them. They will be recreated on the next Evolution startup -- this can
take some time, don't get nervous.

The following instructions should be safe. Still having that backup is
highly recommended anyways. To remove the indexing files (local mail
folders), first *close* Evolution. Then kill all Evolution backend tasks
from a terminal (as user):

$ evolution --force-shutdown

Then remove all the indexing files (the dot in "mbox.*" is essential):

$ find ~/evolution/local/ -name "mbox.*" -exec rm -f {} \;

Hope this helps. In any case, be careful on your next steps...

...guenther