[Evolution] All messages marked as unread at startup

I am using Evolution 1.0.8 on Debian/woody and am having a problem which
no one I have talked to has heard of before.  My mail comes from an IMAP
server.  I use filters to sort messages into other folders on the server
and maintain no local copies of the messages.  My problem is that every
time I start Evolution, all messages stored on the IMAP server are
marked unread regardless of their previous state.  I have looked through
the configuration options and have found no settings that resolve the
problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions beyond storing the mail
locally?  I am a relatively new Evolution user so don't assume your
advice is too trivial.  Thanks

--
Adam Litke (agl at us.ibm.com)
IBM Linux Technology Center