Re: [Evolution] No sound in Evolution - Fixed, thank you.

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:53, Asa Jay Laughton wrote:
The wrapper method described herein, with code snippet, worked like a
charm.  I had to modify paths to reflect my system, but the first time
I fired up Evolution, the incoming mail sound worked.  Wow!

Cool.

Okay, so, now, being ignorant in these things, could someone explain
to me "why" this works?

It works because Evolution uses gnome-sound (esd) to send sound to the
sound card (it's to GNOME what artsd is to KDE).  By wrapping esd you
get the following sound path:
evolution->gnome-sound->esd->arts->artsd->driver->card

It does add a delay, but 98% of the time that doesn't matter to me.

And more specifically, if I run this as part of my x-session startup,
will it cover more items, nut just Evolution?

Find a wave file and try to run esdplay on it.  It should work just fine
once the wrapper is executed.  This means that all GNOME apps will use
sound properly.  You can remove the line at the end that starts
evolution, and then it will start esd wrapped all by itself.  Just make
sure that the wrapper runs after artsd is started.

Lonnie Borntreger