Re: [Evolution] No sound in Evolution - Fixed, thank you.

The wrapper method described herein, with code snippet, worked like a charm.  I had to modify paths to reflect my system, but the first time I fired up Evolution, the incoming mail sound worked.  Wow!

Okay, so, now, being ignorant in these things, could someone explain to me "why" this works?
And more specifically, if I run this as part of my x-session startup, will it cover more items, nut just Evolution?

Private responses are welcome, to keep list traffic down.

Thanks,
Asa Jay

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:01, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 12:42, guenther wrote:
> > it is very likely that the KDE sound daemon is blocking the GNOME sound
> > daemon from playing sounds and so Evolution cannot play sounds.
>
> Yeah, IIRC this in in the archives multiple times -- although some
> months ago.
>
> AFAIK you have to use the KDE sound wrapper to play the sound. Don't
> remember the details...

The way I do it is have my desktop icon/link execute a wrapper script
/usr/local/bin/Evolution which looks like:
-> cat /usr/local/bin/Evolution
##
## Deal with Sound
##
#
# For Arts wrapping
#
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libartsdsp.so:/usr/lib/libartsc.so

if [ ! `/sbin/pidof esd` ]
then
        esd -nobeeps -spawnfd 4 &
fi