Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.4.4 performance on KDE 3.1

Jeff, answers embedded...........

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:00, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Does the RENDER X extension work properly on your system?
It looks OK.  The XFree86 log file shows that RENDER is loading OK, and there are no errors regarding the extension.
(do you get errors like "Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display
:0.0" ?)

all I know is that my laptop (p3 600 w/ 128 megs of RAM running RedHat 9
w/ XD2 running default setup) sounds like it runs evolution faster than
your 2 gigahertz + 2gig of ram desktop machine, which seems a bit
strange... no? I'll grant you that w/ 128 megs of ram and a 256 meg swap
partition, things are not exactly snappy - but redraws and plenty fast.
It is infuriatingly slow, especially for a high spec machine.  The reason I am back with the SuSE version is that I had installed XD2 when this all started, and I mistakenly thought going back might fix it.  That's also why I suspect that my gnome configuration is broken somewhere.  I tried a doorman-reset and also moving all my .gnome  and .gconf stuff temporarily, but no luck.

the browser config setting thing has more to do with what arguments you
pass to the browser command-line than a bug in GNOME. If I try to launch
mozilla more than once on my machine from the command-line, it often
won't let me - asking me to select a different profile.
That's the net effect.
you probably need to do something like: mozilla --new-window
I use mozilla -remote "openurl($arg, new-window)" with some surroundings to catch the cases where there either is or isn't a browser already running.

(you'd have to read up on the mozilla command-line options to know for
sure, I was just making that one up).

what other preferences "get ignored"? They all seem to work fine for
me...
Setting file handlers just doesn't seem to work.  I set the preference for html docs to various things, including just launching a shell.  No change is effective, the system just doesn't "see" them.

Jeff