Re: [Evolution] Character encoding in 1.4.x

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 11:13, Mike Gifford wrote:
Nice detective work Dan.

That wrapped up the case pretty nicely..  I was just cutting & pasting
in a quote and it didn't occur to me that there were curly quotes let
alone that this might produce an error anywhere (looked fine to me and
to many folks looking at the email).

Since Microsoft 'smart' quotes are so common still (not sure if that's
want the issue is or not).  I'd strongly suggest that in searching for
character types/languages, that a curly-quote not give any indication on
the language of the email.

character encoding is not really a language indicator, it is just a
character set. Each of the iso-8859-* charsets contain a max of 256
possible characters, each containing all of US-ASCII - the high bits
(>127 && <256) are extended characters, such as smart quotes, currency
symbols, accentuated characters and so forth.

If there is no way to represent a particular character in US-ASCII (or
the charset you chose), we have no choice but to find a charset that can
represent that character.

Jeff

Mike