Re: [Evolution] Permissions for backed up evolution folder

Since you have new mail that is not contained in the backup, you can't
just untar the backup over ~/evolution ...

I presume you're using the default mbox format, maildir wouldn't have
this problem, you could just untar ontop.

So, just untar it to another location, then prepend the mailbox data
into each specific mailbox, and remove the summary files.

e.g. untar to backup/evolution

To recover your combined inbox:

cat backup/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox evolution/local/Inbox/mbox > evolution/local/Inbox/mbox.new
mv evolution/local/Inbox/mbox.new evolution/local/Inbox/mbox
rm evolution/local/Inbox/mbox.ev-summary

Repeat for all mailboxes.  Might be a good idea to backup the new stuff first just incase, too.

Then restart evo and it will re-summarise/re-index the mailbox with
the old stuff properly at the start of the mailbox