Re: [Evolution] Permissions for backed up evolution folder

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 23:45, Thinker wrote:
Hello All,

About a month ago I backed up my evolution folder in my home directory
onto a CDR. I have since reinstalled SuSE 8.2 on my machine and I would
like to copy my old email messages from that CDR onto my newly installed
and functioning evolution.

What is the best way to do this.

Thanks

-=Thinker

There is probably an easier way, but what I do is copy the backup
folders (evolution/local/Inbox/subfolders/whatever?) to a temp directory
in my new installation.  Within the temp directory I change whatever
permissions are needed, usually added user write permission to the all
mbox folders.  Then copy the backed up Inbox subfolders from temp to
home/user/evolution/local/Inbox/subfolders.

Typically I complete this step immediately after reinstalling the distro
and having setup evolution but before the new evolution setup has
retrieved any new mail.  I typically also copy over all the setup and
config files so that the new install of evolution starts where the old
install left off.

Since you have already a running copy of evolution, you may want to
setup a new subfolder in your Inbox (i.e. old_mail) and copy your backup
mail into "old_mail".  Then you could manually merge/sync your old and
new mail into whatever subfolders that you wanted.

HTH
--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
rsanford telusplanet net   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01