Re: [Evolution] Tips on restoring Evolution from backup.

I am planning to re-install RedHat 9 to get rid of a lot of junk I have
accumulated over time.  One of the things that I have backed up (to DVD,
CD and another partition) is Evolution.  I will want to restore all of
my old e-mails from backup once I restore the new system and upgrade to
the latest Evolution.  Any tips and suggestions would be more than
appreciated.  Thanks everyone for your input.

For backup (and restore) of Evolffution 1.4.x versions you will need the
~/evolution/ and ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/ directories. The first
contains all your mails, contacts, etc. and some config data, the latter
contains most configuration and all your account settings.

Choose the backup media carefully: I strongly suggest a tar archive (or
similiar) which will presafe the file permissions. You will loose these
by plain copying to CD.

Just restore the mentioned directories. Be sure not to run Evolution
before this or kill all Evo background tasks with
 $ evolution --force-shutdown

before restoring. After restoring, check if user and group are the same
as before and adjust them recursively if needed.

And obviously, do not try to downgrade Evo to 1.2.x versions this way.
Update Evolution if necessary before restoring.

...guenther