Re: [Evolution] problem with evolution 1.4.5 and pop server / not deleting messages

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 13:10, Erik Vetters wrote:
Am Mo, den 06.10.2003 schrieb Jeffrey Stedfast um 18:17:

<snip>
this has been reported a few times now. can't find the bug #'s tho,
because bugzilla is so full of crap due to no one ever looking for
duplicates when they submit bug reports, that now I can't find anything
without wasting hours and hours wading thru it all.

Was at bugzilla, but as you said, there is a lot of stuff ( and not so
well descriped ). Maybe it wasn't so good to develop bug-buddy. ;-)

yea, maybe ;-)

[snip]
Or does have anyone any glue why this happens. Other MUA's deleting the
mail from server ! For example Sylpheed-Claws.

*shrug* good for them.

But I wanna use evolution !!! Just switched from sylpheed-claws because
I need a all in one solution for calendar, todo list and contacts and
mail of course.  :-)

*nod*

I have written a little perl script that go through my local folder ( I
have all folders maildir) that compares messages with the same
Message-ID and deletes them. That works fine for me here at the moment
but it is quick and DIRTY !!! ;-)

yea, I'd like to get this fixed in Evolution itself, assuming I can find
the problem...

Thank you for the great work, what you have done with evo  ....

no prob.

Is there a log file or something, to see what evolution "talks" to the
pop-server ?

CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1 evolution

do me a favour tho, and disable all but *one* of your pop accounts that
illustrates the bug.

Have done that and send the output to list.

you should have a file under ~/evolution/mail/pop3 called
cache-pop://... with your account info in the filename. can you open
that file and tell me if the following strings are in that file?

!VL"! f4!!bec"!^3K"!
cUV"!pCa"!:J7"!4Sp!!
Mk9"!\Y>"!VH["!b\~!!

those are the UIDs of the messages that evo downloaded according to your
POP server. they should be saved in that file, even if we are going to
delete them from the server - because this way, if the delete fails
(disconnect?), we know what we have already downloaded at the start of
the next send&receive.

according to the log, it looks like Evolution is not sending any DELE
commands to delete the mail from the server and I have no idea why.
However, even so - it should not re-download those messages again.

Next, if you find that those UIDs are in fact listed in that file - can
you do me another favour and get me another log just like the last one?
I want to check that the server isn't changing the UIDs on us.

thanks

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.