Re: [Evolution] Filter Problems - Not the Usual Ones...

*Please*, do not hijack unrelated threads. Unless you wanna contribute
to a ongoing discussion, you should click the blue, link-style email
address, rather than replying.

To visualize this: View / Threaded Message List

Hi! I'm using Spamassassin with Evolution 1.4.5, I've followed the
instructions in the Ximian knowledge base as well as read through the
discussions in the archives. I have gotten past the problems which are
most commonly reported, my filter is dropping spam into the spam folder
quite reliably. My problem is that my move is working more like a copy.
Despite the fact that the spam is going into the spam folder the spam is
also still in the folders it would have been moved to if it hadn't been
spam.

That's just a misunderstanding of the concept. "Moving" actually is a
"copy and mark for deletion".

Use Actions / Expunge to permanently remove all mails marked for
deletion in the current folder and Actions / Empty Trash to do the same
for all folders.

Long, default explanation about "deleting" follows:

Deleting a mail does not instantly erase the mail, but mark it for
deletion (just like most other mailers do it, too). You have the option
of still seeing these "deleted" mails or not.

Moving mails is simply a "copy and delete" action, therefore anything
said about deleting even applies for moving.

The Trash actually only is a vFolder (virtual Folder) which lists all
mails marked for deletion.

To permanently erase the "deleted" (actually marked for deletion) mails
from disk, use Actions / Expunge (current folder) or Actions / Empty
Trash (all folders). You can setup Evolution to Empty Trash on Exit, so
you will not have to manually empty the trash.

I hope, this clears things up...

In short, even though it gets 'moved' the following filters are
still acting on the spam as if it was still there.

That's another, but related issue: As "deleted" mails are still there,
other filters may trigger on them.

As you don't want any other filter to be applied after mails are moved,
you have to tell Evolution it shall stop right there:

In the Filter editor, add a "Stop Processing" action to any Filter, that
moves mails.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, can you point me in the
direction of a fix? I have a number of hypotheses about how Evolution
might be working this way but none of them are directly under my
control. I am guessing that it might have something to do with timing
given the external process that gets called but I'm not sure how.

Nope... ;)

...guenther