"smart quotes" was [Evolution] Image/pjpeg

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 06:50, Dan Winship wrote:
On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 07:06, Ted Anderson wrote:
As has been reported before, this is not a bug.

No, it is. Writing an email client is all about supporting other
people's non-standard crap. If other widely-used systems send
"image/pjpeg", then we should support displaying it.

-- Dan

Speaking of supporting nonstandard crap, how about smart quotes?  I
know, they're a really stupid deviation from the standard, but it's also
really fighting a losing battle trying to get people to even understand
there's an issue, let alone get them to change their behavior.

I get an e-mail from my university regularly, in html format.  Evo
displays the mail fine, except the smart quotes.  Trying to be a
diligent defender of standards, I started composing a mail message
saying that the smart quotes only looked right to Microsoft users, and
that they didn't display correctly for Linux and Mac users.

Well, I went and talked to a couple of Mac guys, who told me that Eudora
on Mac displays smart quotes now.

Further, I talked to a linux guy who uses netscape mail, and he tells me
that it displays smart quotes too.

So I sent my letter anyway, but I didn't have much of a leg to stand
on.  :-S

Minor apologies if this has already been laid to rest in 1.4.x.  I'm
still running 1.2.3.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg dcs nac uci edu>