Re: [Evolution] Changing Evolution settings via text files

Hi,

I have had the same need, and I ended up using a different solution,
described below. But first, let me say why I changed the method.

I previously used Sylpheed, now Evolution. These mailers (and others)
make it difficult if not impossible to use on a laptop that is sometimes
connected directly, sometimes through ssh tunnels, sometimes
disconnected.

Now for my method :

1. MUA (Evo, sylpheed, etc) always talk to localhost (mbox for incomming
email, postfix MTA for outgoing). Benefit : mbox and postfix are always
running. Never get a timeout. Never have to change my MUA config.

2. incomming mail done with fetchmail and two .fetchmalrc entries (one
for direct, the other for tunnels)

3. outgoing is always manual, with two main.cf (one for direct, the
other for tunnels)

The only drawbacks are the somewhat added complexity and the weight of
the running MTA for outgoing emails (postfix in my case). Not an issue
for my Gigabyte ram :-)

I can share configs if wanted. The only real trick is these lines at the
end of main.cf to avoid DNS lookups when disconnected :

defer_transports = smtp
disable_dns_lookups = yes

Charles