Re: [Evolution] Synchronising laptop and desktop evolutions

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 04:56, John Locke wrote:
On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 07:53, Lars Weissflog wrote:
On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 19:26, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
I have decided to drop multisync, and in casting about have run across
references to imap.

I'm not sure whether imap is an option at all. As far as I do
understand, the thing with imap is that all mail is permanently stored
on the server and nothing really gets to the client.

I didn't see anyone mention Offlineimap [1] in this thread. Well tested
robust program to do two way sync between an IMAP server's mail store
and a local copy... you can then point evolution at the local copy and
off you go - no dependence on a working net connection to your IMAP
server.

Brilliant for laptops, and also very good if you're working on a laptop
and desktop and move back and forth periodically. [I keep Sent and
Drafts in a folder that's sent up to the Server, so my Sent archive ends
up on both laptop and desktop. Very handy].

One thing I do end up manually copying after an extended roam is
evolution/local/Contacts/* in order to migrate (overwrite) changes I've
made to my address book along the way.

AfC

[1] Offlineimap is a native Debian package; it's home page is at
http://gopher.quux.org/devel/offlineimap
you can also get a gentoo .ebuild for it off my site:
http://www.operationaldynamics.com/reference/software/gentoo/offlineimap/

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd