Re: [Evolution] URLs Misbehavin'

Now, clicking a URL without Mozilla running produces the same behavior.
Mozilla loads with the URL.  But clicking a URL with Mozilla already
running causes a new instance of Mozilla to load.  As the new instance
senses a lock file in the ~/.mozilla directory, it prompts me for a
different profile.

Seems 'mozilla' is called directly. The Gnome default 'gnome-moz-remote'
will display in the current window (no new tab) if Mozilla already
running.

At first, I thought this had to do with the way that Evolution
interacted with Fluxbox.  (I even posted a bug, only to get dismissed by
Jeff S.)  Now, remembering that I upgraded Mozilla at the same time, I
think it is the script that Evolution calls to pass the URL to Mozilla
being out of wack.

But I can't remember the name of this file.  It is a hyphenated
"moz-something-somehow".  Can someone knowledgeable about this URL
clicking mechanism help me?

Art, haven't you joined this list long enough to already get annoyed by
my default reply to this kind of question? ;-)

As Evolution only respects Gnome configuration, regardless of the window
manager, this should apply to your situation as well. If not, please let
me know and I hope we can add additional info to the standard reply.

However, this seems not to work at least for the combination of Evo
1.3.x and a Gnome 2.2 desktop. I got the same behavior as you described
with that. Solution:

launch 'gnome-control-center',
 goto: Advanced > Preferred Applications > Web Browser
 set 'Custom Web Browser' Command to: mozilla-remote.sh "%s"
have the attached script in your path

HTH

...guenther

--- snipp ---

I should write a perl script, that automagically answers this... ;-)

That's a GNOME setting. For Gnome1 you can use the Gnome Control Center,
for Gnome2 there is no GUI yet:

Check your ~/.gnome/Gnome file. You need something like that:

[URL Handlers]
default-show=gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"

If there are http-show or similar entries, change them, too.

gnome-moz-remote %s
 will only open a new mozilla, when none running
 displays the URL in the current mozilla (old content overwritten)

gnome-moz-remote --newwin %s
 will only open a new mozilla, when none running
 displays the URL in a new mozilla window

I use the following default-show entry:

default-show=/home/guenther/bin/mozilla-remote.sh "%s"

With the attached mozilla-remote.sh script (must be executable) it acts
like the --newwin option, but displays the new URL in a new *tab* if
there is already a mozilla running.

I don't lose the displayed URL and can even click multiple URLs and see
them all in the same mozilla.

If you have a ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote file, check it, rename it or
plain delete it. You can change settings there too, although you won't
need it.

Hope that answers all your questions...

--- snipp ---