[Evolution] sending emails via perl to evolution

We have a club and would like to send out reminders to members by email using a perl script. Please can someone either
a) point me in the direction where I can find out how to write the script or
b) give a sample script
so that they are sent to evolution outbox to be sent out when I dial out.
I have used mail and sent the message to Mutt and pine but I would like to make evolution my default mailer.
Thanks in advance
Pat Hannon
PS I am still using version 1.0.8