Re: [Evolution] Feature request: Pop-before-IMAP

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 18:34, guenther wrote:
Would you mind using a MUA that knows about In-Reply-To: headers and
actually knows how to quote? ;-)

Hah. Used my web mail because of exactly the problem I wanted to fix...
working remotely, and pop-before-smtp timed out.

What would you suggest to be a better/easier way to authenticate a user to
SMTP? I'm using Postfix with Courier-IMAP, using both PAM and MySQL to
authenticate users.

Not looking for you to give me a long solution here--just a suggestion of
method. I can track down how to do it.

Can you increase the time for pop-before-smtp? Would be just another
hack, but would do you a favor instantly.

Yeah, but while I'm remote I'm often on for hours. Don't want to leave
that hole open too long.

To set up your SMTP server for another authentication method, try
http://www.google.com/linux and search for 'smtp auth cram md5'. The
first link looks promising.

The first link led to how to set up Postfix to be a client, not a
server. Just did a bunch of searching, and am not finding a good how-to
that applies to my setup--Postfix, mix of local user accounts and
virtual accounts stored in MySQL, Courier-IMAP using MySQL to
authenticate, Mandrake 9.1.

It looks like my Postfix installation already supports SASL, but haven't
found how to configure SASL to get the login info from MySQL (or LDAP,
which I want to migrate to...)

This is why I'm using pop-before-smtp--too many projects, too little
time!

Anyway, off topic for this list. Thanks for your help...

--
John Locke
http://freelock.com