Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.3 beta install screws up /etc/ld.so.conf

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 13:19, Mark Gordon wrote:
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 14:52, Cliff Wells wrote:
Two days ago I decided to give Evo 1.3 a try.  Fired up red-carpet,
installed it and all the required components.  In the final stages of
the install (executing rpm), suddenly apps started dying and finally my
screen went ballistic (difficult to describe, but basically I could see
the desktop, with every other scanline being offset by some amount).

Hit the reset switch.  System comes up but I get errors on boot about
sshd not being able to load libkr5.so.3, xfs not being able to load
libxfont.so.1.  Of course X won't start, so I'm at a login prompt.  I
start poking around and next thing you know I can't even do an 'ls' (I
forget the exact error message).

Reboot (via reset switch as 'init 6' also fails).  Everything starts
working again.

Today I decide to see if things had gotten better, fire up red-carpet,
it informs me that there are updates for 1.3 (good, I think).  Same
thing, only this time a reboot (or 2 or 3) doesn't fix it.

After a brief moment of panic (okay, minutes of panic and cursing).  I
decide to take a look at /etc/ld.so.conf.  Two important things are
missing: /lib and /usr/lib.  I add these, run ldconfig and everything is
fine.

Very odd, especially considering the following from the ldconfig man
page:

DESCRIPTION
       ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache (for use by the runâtime
       linker, ld.so) to the most recent shared libraries found in the  direcâ
       tories  specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and
       in the trusted directories (/usr/lib and /lib).

That rather suggests that you shouldn't need /lib or /usr/lib in
/etc/ld.so.conf; ldconfig uses those dirs by default.  I don't, and my
machine runs fine.  If you do, then something is badly broken about how
your machine is handling shared libraries.

I suspect the problems on your machine are completely independent of the
1.3 beta.  Any package that ran ldconfig (i.e. anything providing shared
libs) probably would have caused similar symptoms.

Okay, an update.  I apparently spoke too soon.  I think you are correct
in that ld.so.conf wasn't the culprit.  I tried uninstalling (via
red-carpet) Evo 1.3, same thing happened, but I notice that ld.so.conf
is unchanged.  I run ldconfig and again get the warnings about Evo 1.3
shared libraries not being in ELF format (bad magic number).  Thinking
that perhaps my download was corrupt, I rpm -e --justdb on all the 1.3
components.  I clear the red-carpet cache to make sure that there are no
corrupt rpms lying about and try reinstalling.  Same thing.  I think
that perhaps I've been using the development snapshot rather than the
beta channel.  Repeat above steps and verify that I'm installing 1.3
from the beta channel.  Same thing.  I use 'rpm -ql <package> | xargs
rm' for every package from Evo 1.3 that is installed do an 'rpm -e
--justdb <package>' for those same packages and reinstall.  All to no
avail.  And yes, apparently I'm a masochist.  It's interesting that
immediately after the 1.3 install, before even exiting RC, other apps
start to die.

Clearly the fact that ldconfig reports the 1.3 shared objects as not
being ELF is an indication that something is wrong with the 1.3
install.  If that's causing the loading of shared objects for other
programs to get screwed that seems odd, but I can't see any other
explanation.   rpm installs and uninstalls other software fine (I was
suspecting rpm problems, not that those ever occur <wink>).  It's just
Evo 1.3.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)