[Evolution] Evolution 1.3 beta install screws up /etc/ld.so.conf

Two days ago I decided to give Evo 1.3 a try.  Fired up red-carpet,
installed it and all the required components.  In the final stages of
the install (executing rpm), suddenly apps started dying and finally my
screen went ballistic (difficult to describe, but basically I could see
the desktop, with every other scanline being offset by some amount).

Hit the reset switch.  System comes up but I get errors on boot about
sshd not being able to load libkr5.so.3, xfs not being able to load
libxfont.so.1.  Of course X won't start, so I'm at a login prompt.  I
start poking around and next thing you know I can't even do an 'ls' (I
forget the exact error message).

Reboot (via reset switch as 'init 6' also fails).  Everything starts
working again.

Today I decide to see if things had gotten better, fire up red-carpet,
it informs me that there are updates for 1.3 (good, I think).  Same
thing, only this time a reboot (or 2 or 3) doesn't fix it.

After a brief moment of panic (okay, minutes of panic and cursing).  I
decide to take a look at /etc/ld.so.conf.  Two important things are
missing: /lib and /usr/lib.  I add these, run ldconfig and everything is
fine.  However ldconfig complains that several files aren't ELF files.
The files in question all appear to be part of Evo:

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libgal-2.0.so.1.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the
wrong magic bytes at the start.

the same for:

/usr/lib/libsoup-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgpilotdcm.so.2
/usr/lib/libgpilotdconduit.so.2

However, I wonder if there is something wrong with the rpms for Evo 1.3?
I'm guessing that installing them attempts to add some library path to
/etc/ld.so.conf but somehow fails and mangles it in the attempt.

Anyone else experience any such problem?

Redhat 8.0 with all updates
Athlon, 512MB RAM (extensively tested with memtest86 a couple of days
ago)

Going back to 1.2.2 for the moment <wink>

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)