Re: [Evolution] Outbox problem

Well, in theory, sendmail should keep the outgoing message in the spool queue until it can deliver the mail. Eventually, it will send you back an email telling you that it's having trouble, and will keep trying for x days (usually 5). After that, it will just delete the email. I think the default ~5 hours (ie, after 5 hours of unsuccessful attempts it will advise you it's having trouble)

You can check /var/spool/mqueue, and your outgoing, unsent emails should be there. You can also check /var/log/mail to see errors & progress messages from sendmail.

If you're using postfix to send mail, the paths are a little different, but the concepts are the same.

Regards,

Jean

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 15:23, guenther wrote:
cheers();

> Yes, it acts exactly as if it were connected, but it's not.  So
> the mail moves from Outbox to Sent but never actually gets
> sent.  No mail servers are reachable when this happens.
>
> I'm using sendmail, which might be the problem.  Maybe
> I'll switch to SMTP and see how that does.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure, that _is_ the problem. As you are using sendmail
(on your local machine) your 'mail server' _is_ reachable. The Mails
gets delivered to sendmail.

sendmail by itself may have problems sending mail, without a network.

Maybe someone with more sendmail experience could tell you more.

Using an external SMTP server should solve those problems instantly, as
Evo tries to reach the SMTP -- and lets the mail in Outbox until that
could be done.

...guenther
CANSYS West Limited
http://www.cansyswest.com