[Evolution] Outbox problem

Using Evo 1.2.1 on Suse 8.1.

When working offline (disconnected from the Lan and modem,
but haven't clicked the Offline button in the lower-left corner)
when I compose mail messages and hit Send, it places the
messages in the Outbox.  But after a couple of seconds they're
moved into the Sent box.

When I then connect and do a Send/Receive, these messages
don't get sent.  This seems to be a new phenomenom.  It
used to keep them in the Outbox until I connected.

Anyone seen this problem or know a fix for it?  Does Evo expect
me to click the Offline button in these cases?

John