From: Ettore Perazzoli [mailto:ettore ximian com]
Sent: June 28, 2003 8:18 PM
To: Cabral, Carlson
Cc: 'Roland Orre'; evolution lists ximian com
Subject: RE: [Evolution] Evolutiuon 1.4 unusable :(

Also, I am not sure you noticed, but Evo 1.4.1 is taking just as long
to be released as any proprietary (namely M$) "patch".

Just to clarify: Evolution takes a longer time to release than other free
software applications because we don't just make a tarball; we make a
tarball, then we build packages for a certain number of platforms, and also
QA them all.

If any of these processes fail for whatever reason then we have to go back
and fix it, and sometimes it can take a while.  But on the other hand, you
get binaries for various popular distributions and a tested release.

If you want to build Evolution yourself with the latest fixes and without
the additional testing, you can download the code from GNOME CVS.  Or you
can take the latest Evolution tarball and apply the relevant patches after
they are discussed on the evolution-patches list.  There is nothing to
prevent you from doing that; however if you want to have the finished
package for all the platforms, then you might have to wait a little longer.

I understand that it's frustrating when it takes a while to have an
important bug fixed, but please keep in mind that there is a lot of
non-trivial work that happens behind the scenes.

-- Ettore