Re: [Evolution] Cannot send POP mail with Evolution 1.3.98 or 1.4

I think you are running into the bug where evolution is sending:

EHLO <hostname>\n\r\n

and so the client and server are getting out of sync.

the reason this is happening, we've discovered, is that glibc has a bug
where it mis-parses /etc/hosts and sometimes appends a \n to the
hostname string.

in many cases, not only is a \n appended to the hostname, but the
hostname is even incorrect (glibc seems to just give us random string
chunks from the /etc/hosts file, sometimes even containing a \n in the
middle, sometimes containing a '#' character which denotes a comment,
etc)

anyways, I've been told that if you remove all comments from /etc/hosts
and all blank lines and so forth, glibc seems to work more reliably.

*shrug*

hope that helps,

Jeff