[Evolution] Cannot send POP mail with Evolution 1.3.98 or 1.4

Hi all,
I can no longer send mail using either of the Evolution versions mentioned above. 1.3.3 worked fine. I'm using it running GNOME 2.3.2 all compiled from source ( I have too much time on my hands..) If I recompile 1.3.3 from source under the same GNOME installation it works fine. I even moved the GNOME install, recompiled from scratch, and compiled Evolution 1.4 and still have the exact same problem. The error I receive is a popup window with the following text:

Error while performing operation: MAIL FROM response error: Synta error, command unrecognized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to file a bug report, just let me know.

Thanks much!

Steve