RE: [Evolution] "Message Display" now constant across folders?

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 05:26, Cabral, Carlson wrote:
Norman et al., here's what I really don't get it and pardon my ignorance on
the matter, but have you noticed by the several posts here that the nature
of the problems we are all facing is the sort of "[...] It was working
before in Evo 1.2.x and now it's broken in Evo 1.4..."

There were a lot more changes than ui ones/gnome2 porting, its pretty
hard to see the release notes properly on ximian.com, but there were
hundreds of bugs closed and plenty of bugs fixed that didn't have bug
entries for them.  For example the pop problem - which is clearly a
server bug - came about because of changes to fix a specific and real
implementation error (like forgetting to implement an rfc MUST clause).
Our beta testing didn't reveal it to be as big an issue as it turned out
to be.

How can that be?? How can a team of developers of such competence as the one
at Ximian screw up a release so badly that most nice characteristics of Evo
got so mangled up it is now almost impossible to use it? Well, I actually

Apart from your pop problem, which is obviously real, this is a bit of
over the top, dont you think?  A couple of other painful bugs crept in
at the last minute, which was pretty poor work on our (my at least)
part, but overall the app is more consistent and at least as stable as
its ever been.

_cannot_ use it because of the POP bug that prevents me from getting my
e-mail from a server that, you guessed it, worked just fine with Evo 1.2.
C'mon folks, Evolution is such a great piece of work! We cannot, for the
love of... whoever, let it fall apart like this. Let's make it usable again
and enjoy this masterpiece of software.

Most of the behavioural changes are due to gnome2 ui consistency
requirements and/or long outstanding old bugs.

I am sorry I don't have the gift of knowing how to program, but boy if I did
I would dive right in and try to get my favourite e-mail/calendar program
working again, just like its previous version did...