[Evolution] An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Evolution. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

I have RedHat Linux 8.0 with Ximian Evolution version 1.4.0-0.ximian.5.6
When I try to start it, I get an error like: "An error occurred while loading
or saving configuration information for Evolution. Some of your configuration
settings may not work properly."
The error details are:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need
to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a
system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information.
(Details -  1: IOR file '/home/csimion/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened
successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file
[...]

Have I lost all my e-mail messages or can I recover them?
Evolution starts now with that error and the Evolution Setup Assistant.

Thank you.