Re: [Evolution] Signature

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 00:53, Cliff Wells wrote:
There is no harm done.

It's in your head.

Perhaps this is the only mailing list you read.  I subscribe to around a
dozen.  I get close to 500 emails a day.  Trust me, it makes a
difference.  But it's rather moot, since you are asking for Evolution to
offer users the option of breaking a standard.  It won't happen.  YAGNI.

I would have to respectfully disagree.  Having the '--' line there to
flag what part can be stripped off by news readers is great and I agree
with it.  But you go on to assume there is only one _right_ way to use
signatures and that it should be enforced by crippling evolution, making
users repetitively enter any of their closing that comes before the
'--'.

How many times do you finish off an e-mail with 'Regards,' with other
stuff before '--'?  Shouldn't you be able to add that to your signature?

You claim this flexibility could be harmful, I think that is bogus.  Any
signature can already be entered manually, what harm is there in having
Evolution append it just the way it would have been manually entered?

In addition, there is no standards issue at odds with this.  Standards
do not _require_ that a '--' line exists, they only define what is meant
by it when it does.  The fact that I can select "None" for my signature
already means Evolution supports not using the '--' line.

The case with "None" for my signature where I type in or paste in a
signature is functionally _equivalent_ to allowing signatures to not use
'--'.  So in effect, evolution already allows this behavior, it just
doesn't allow users to leverage its tools to make that easy.

Regards,
Marck Robinson <marck powerdata com>