Re: [Evolution] Some issues with evolution

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 10:55, Tony Mobily wrote:
Hello,

* I *need* to purge the attachments from my email. It's OK (and handy) for me to
keep my attachments in my outgoing mail, but as far as incoming mail is
concerned, it would be *madness*. I receive about 10Mb of attachment per
day, as I work as an editor. I also like to back-up my home directory
onto a CD. Keeping all the attachment in the mail's bodies would be
crazy. I would be happy with a function to "purge" the attachments out.
Is there such a think in evolution? Does anyone know of a script that
does it?

The quickest and easiest way to do this is to completely modify your
mail set up :-)

Use fetchmail to pull the mail down to the computer where you read your
mail and deliver it to your local account.

Use procmail to slice, dice, and dehumidify the mail in any way that
makes you happy. I'd recommend:

# Sometimes MS users will send attachments hidden inside TNEF files.
# This script translates those back to regular MIME attachments.
:0fw
| /usr/local/bin/tnefclean.pl -f
# This script detaches MIME attachments and stores them. The exact
# syntax shown here is untested.
:0fw
| ~/mimeStrip.pl --dir /home/myusername/attachments | \
        sendmail -t me here
# SpamAssassin rule
# The condition line ensures that only messages smaller than 250 kB
# (250 * 1024 = 256000 bytes) are processed by SpamAssassin. Most spam
# isn't bigger than a few k and working with big messages can bring
# SpamAssassin to its knees.
:0fw
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc

Finally, tell Evo to pick up your mail from the local mail spool in
/var/spool/[you]

* When I compose a new message, is there a shortcut that takes me to the
address book without having to clic with the mouse? (I really don't like
using the mouse in such a situation...)

* "paste" doesn't work in the subject field. I believe this is a bug! If
you copy some text in the clipboard, then go to evolution in the
"subject" field, and press CTRL-V, the text will go in the BODY of the
email! The problem is not there when you press CTRL+INS (weird!).

Most cut-n-paste oddness comes from the Unix tradition of
left-mouse-button selects into a buffer, middle-mouse-button pastes that
buffer. The CTRL-[key] combos are per program add-ons and don't always
act as expected.

* When "shift" is pressed, Enter doesn't work.
OK, this is a bit of a silly one... if I press Enter while the shift key
is pressed, Enter simply doesn't do anything. This is not true for other
text editors... is there any way to prevent that?

* When I send my email, the message is "formatted" so that it's not more
than 80 colums. I assue that Evolution does it so that it the message
adheres with standards. But... is there a way to prevent this from
happening?

try sending HTML formatted, or just select the text and choose Preformat
instead of Normal in the format toolbar.

Thank you so much!

Bye,

Merc.