Re: [Evolution] Duplicate Emails

this issue has been recently discussed in this mailing list. The
reason is that Evolution applies a different approach in handling
messages in the POP3 server: it first downloads all messages in a
batch from the POP3 mailbox and subsequently deletes them from the
server, instead of deleting each individual message right after
downloading it into the local folder.

I can't see of any way to reconfigure this behavior on the user
level (I think that Ximian developers should apply the alternative
approach in some future version or allow the user to select his/her
preference), neither do I know of any way to eliminate duplicate
messages. I can only say that you can limit the amount of duplicates
by decreasing (or even zeroing) the time interval of keeping your
messages in the server.

Changing the code to send DELE after each RETR command to the POP server
would not change anything since this guy is killing evolution before it
sends the QUIT command. The way POP works as the the DELE flags are
forgotten if the server does not receive a QUIT command, hence you solve
nothing by doing things your way unles you plan on sending the QUIT
command after each message fetch and then reconnecting :-)

Besides, Evolution keeps a transaction log so that if a download is
cancelled or interrupted in some way, the next time it connects it knows
that it has already fetched those messages.

The reason it didn't work for this guy was that he killed evo before it
got a chance to write that file to disk.

There's nothing we can do if users are going to be impatient.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.