[Evolution] Duplicate Emails

Occasionally I find that Evolution will hang when trying to download email from one of my POP mail accounts.
This usually results in my having to kill and restart Evolution.  Unfortunately this often results in
Evolution re-downloading my entire POP mailbox rather than just downloading those messages that haven't been
retrieved.  I keep my messages on the POP server for awhile, so when this happens Evolution will often
re-download 2000 messages or more(however many happen to be in the mailbox at the time)..  Is there a way to
prevent this from happening?  Short of that, is there a way to prune my mail folders from within Evolution to
remove duplicate (or triplicate) mails?

Thanks,
JP