Re: [Evolution] Advice needed for Exchange-like calendaring

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Kees Cook wrote:
Here's the document I started.  The requirement list is at the bottom, but
I think hits all the important things.  I'm sure there are more high-level
requirements that should be added, though...

Quick Requirements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a quick set of requirements as I see them right now for making a
functional open source client/server Calendaring system.

server-side storage/scheduling
      - use get(pw|gr)* POSIX calls for local user list or may use
          external system (LDAP?)
      - manages free/busy and on-server scheduling
      - manages delegation/read/write permissions
      - manages out-of-band scheduling notifications (email, pages, etc)
      - may manage scheduling events with off-site people (via iMIP or
          CAP)
      - on-disk storage must be backup safe (no need to shut down server)

client-side synchronization
      - keep a local copy of calendar
      - resync and handling conflict resolution on reconnect

Wookie mentioned that syncing to a Palm (or other such device) would be
an invaluable requirement for a lot of folks.

client-side scheduling
      - may manage scheduling calendar events with off-site people
          (via iMIP and/or CAP)
      - may keep a list of "cached" users and free/busy from the server
        so that offline scheduling can be done