[Evolution] Problems with 1.4RC1 - Blank mailboxes, better debug.

I'm having a problem with Evolution 1.4RC1 (on Gentoo Linux FWIW). When I
love Evolution, many times every folder appears blank--like there are no
message in them, even when the "new messages" count shows new messages,
and I know there are messages in there. It only seems to happen
sporadically. Does anybody know why this might be happening? I'm using
1.4RC1 because the wombat crashes on LDAP lookups were making Evolution
1.2.4 unusable.

On a related note, how can I get Evolution to give me better debug info?
There doesn't seem to be any higher debug settings, and while it has a
--gtk-debug option I'm not sure exactly which flags this option accepts.

Jason