[Evolution] problems with imap ssl

I am having trouble connecting to the imap server using evolution 1.43
running on redhat 8.0.  The receive side setting is to use ssl "Whenever
Possible".  Here's log message from imapd:

SSL error status: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong
version number

Server is running on the same redhat 8.0 system, with ssl support and a
self-signed certificate. I have used a 1.22 client running on redhat 9.0
from a different domain/host with the same errors.

In both cases, the client says something to the effect of "ssl
negotiations failed".  I am not sure, but I think in both cases It
appeared as though it was working just when the account was setup to use
ssl the first time.  I started seeing the errors when I quit evolution
and started it again.  After this, I changed the setting to say "Never"
to ssl and things start working again (although I have to quit
evolution, it seems).

Client side error:

"Failed to connect to IMAP server <SERVER NAME> in secure mode: SSL
negotiations failed"

It is possible that I might have built the server with incorect settings
but since I have been able to use fetchmail (from a variety of systems)
and kmail from a debian system to access the folders and do mail stuff
using the same server with ssl, I was looking elsewhere.  Both of these
clients warn about the self-signed certificate, but allowed me to talk
to the server and read mails.

Here's an earlier reference:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution-hackers/2003-March/000114.html

I can turn on some debugging if we need to log more details.

-Pragnesh