Re: [Evolution] How to change the place where evolution stores mail and configs?

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 18:32, guenther wrote:
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 15:39, Wouter van Marle wrote:
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 21:33, Denis O. Mikhalkin wrote:

[...] Therefore I wanted to
make evolution use some special local folder on my machine which has
enough space and is very fast. How can I do it?

The Unix method would be to create a dir where you want to have your
evolution stuff on the local machine, and then create a symlink
~/evolution to that dir. Remember to copy the content of the current
~/evolution dir to the new dir prior to removing ~/evolution and
putting a symlink in place.

Yep, that is correct. I tested this (back in the 1.2.x day IIRC) and it
worked perfectly.

Just remember, that the mails itself are on another machine. Thus, when
logging in to your account on the NFS server from another machine, this
symlink will be false.

...guenther

Thanks Wouter and guenther, I thought about making a symlink, good to
know that it works though it is kind of odd - make someone go to local
disc through NFS... One reason to not store mailbox on NFS is that
sometimes it dies(one of the servers dies and other server start
broadcasting the network making local DOS, happens all the time in our
network) - and you're out of business.  Not sure whether keeping only
evolution profile on the local disk will help in this case but I wanted
to try.

Anyway, I still think that Evolution needs the same thing other
mailers(like Mozilla) have: when they create the profile for the first
time they ask - "Where to store you profile?". And the ability to
pick-up already filled profile when someone tries to create new one on
place of previous one.

Denis