Re: [Evolution] Evolution, Connector and pilot conduits

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 02:38, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
Is anyone else using Evolution 1.4 with connector and a palm PDA?

I'm finding that the evolution conduits are causing massive duplication
of any touched item in a way that does not happen against standard evo
contacts/calendar/todo list.

In particular any item deleted from either palm or exchange does not get
deleted from the other side on sync, and if an appointment (for example)
is modified on either side you end up with both the original and
modified version after sync.

      Nigel.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but:

In all honesty, switching to Linux on the desktop finally meant not
using a PDA. I find that PDAs work fine if you stick to pilot-link and
JPilot, but synchronization with Evolution is fraught with difficulty
and breaks with every change of software or hardware. The two-step from
Evo to jpilot isn't acceptable, so I gave up. At its best (evo and pilot
communicating reliably on the first try), I have still had the
duplication problems you mention. There is a dedupe program in the
pilot-link distribution that will kill the duplicates on the palm
device, but of course that only solves half the problem.

Additionally, "upgrading" from my trusty Palm V to a pretty Sony Clie
turned out to be a bad idea -- the Clie was a lot more fragile, and
replacing a broken screen quickly made me a little more reticent to
carry the PDA. Since the Palm V doesn't synchronize reliably through a
USB-to-serial connector and its internal battery is starting to go out
any way, both PDAs just gather dust in a drawer. On days when I'm going
out of the office, I just scribble down the times and bridge numbers /
addresses on a piece of paper and stick that in my pocket. Terribly
old-fashioned, but frankly easier to manage in the car any way :-)

I've been working with this stuff since the Palm III and have tried
source compilations, Ximian RPMs, and Mandrake RPMs of every component
through the releases of the last two years up to about March of this
year. I've been on the gnome-pilot and pilot-link mailing lists and have
bothered the developers directly. It's just not worth it any more.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...