Re: [Evolution] IMAP rewrite

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 07:17, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
Hi Timo,

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 00:43, Timo Sirainen wrote:
I remember reading something of IMAP rewrite, how far did that get? Is
there still a chance of getting that soon?

I'm thinking of fixing the IMAP code myself soon, unless there's some

This sounds great!  Right now most of the team is focusing on the GNOME
2 port and this doesn't give us much space for improving the backends;
so help in that direction would be welcome.

On the other hand, we have decided to not add any new features to
Evolution until a stable GNOME 2 port gets released; so these changes
need to be postponed until then as well.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the work can't start now. :-)  The
IMAP rewrite could be maintained as a separate branch, and merged in
after 1.4 is released.

There's no need for any of this.  It can be setup as a separate camel
provider which isn't compiled by default, using a different prefix.  It
could even just be compiled separately from the main tree and plugged in
at run-time.

I'm talking just the imap code here, not anything else.

larger changes coming out soon. Was there some plans to change the Camel
API? I remember reading something about it.. Anyway, what I want fixed:

If we start throwing in ideas for a better IMAP implementation, we
should probably consider the issues with the current offline support as
well?..

Unless we decide to make it properly atomic, this is independent of the
backend code.  And even if we did its not that hard (and would probably
be inside camel).