Re: [Evolution] Connector on Gentoo?

Hi there.
I'm a PPC Gentoo dev and wrote a ximian-connector ebuild which is in
portage. The problem (as i'm sure you're aware) is Ximian doesn't allow
downloading of the Connector rpm without redcarpet.

At one point the rpms were available at
ftp://www-files.ximian.com/pub/ximian-connector
but they've since been taken down. The Connector license doesn't allow
redistribution of of the rpms.

All that said, to install ximian-connector on a gentoo system you have a
few options:
1. install redcarpet and use it to install connector (redcarpet might
try and force you to install all depdencies. not sure how to work around
that).
2. find a computer w/ redcarpet installed and use it to install
connector. grab the rpm out of /var/cache/redcarpet
3. talk ximian into allowing connector rpm downloads w/o redcarpet (a
web-based license agreement or such). this would be the ideal solution.

once you have the rpm, but it in /usr/portage/distfiles and run: emerge
ximian-connector

on a related note, i'm curious how feasible it is to the use the
redcarpet as a starting point to build a command-line downloader. i've
never looked into this so anyone with experience in this area, i'd love
to hear what you think about it.

nall.