[Evolution] Evolution 1.2: syncing a pilot-like device

I recently installed evolution for the first time (v1.2) on my fairly stock RH8 system. My IMAP email is working just fine with evolution.

My problems relate to syncing my Sony Clie peg-sl10.
Before I proceed I should mejntion that sync-ing and backups using jpilot work well.

I've spent quite some time reading the somewhat misleading 1.2 docs and a much longer time searching the evoution list archives. Lots of useful info in there.

I have
        evolution
        evolution-pilot
        gnome-pilot
        gnome-pilot-conduits
        pilot-link
installed via red-carpet from ximian

I have an evolution app running and am hoping to just hit the hot-sync "button" on the clie and then see evolution somehow indicate data is being transferred. I hit the hot-sync and see the corresponding USB related messages in /var/log/messages - just as I would see them with jpilot - but absolutley nothing happens to the evolution app. the clie continues to display the "connecting to the desktop" message and eventually times out. I think I have the conduit configured correctly in evolution->tools->pilot settings (on my installation the selection of evolution->tools->pilot conduit settings does nothing - i assume that this is OK as there are adequate controls with in the tools->pilot settings selection and guess this is soemthing that got missed in the 1.2 release) one mystery is the ID required in the tools->pilot settings->pilots dialogue - it seemed preset to value 500 - which coincidentally(?) is the group numbr in linux for my account - but then later duriong the Jpilot exchange I noticed an ID of 1064 in the log - subsequently I used that in the evolution setup - to no avail.

I know it must be me! but just what - I'm getting tired.

thanks for any help - the archives give me hope - nicely done.