Re: [Evolution] Evo won't connect to my ISP's Linux pop server!

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 11:13, Rupert Heesom wrote:
Hi:

I have a new DSL ISP which I'm trying to migrate my email to.

My ISP is using Linux/sendmail on it's side.

I'm currently using Evo 1.0.2, so that itself may be a problem.

The email details I'm trying to use within Evo are:

Mail server:  pop3.heesom.camail.co.uk
Mailbox name:  rupert#heesom.camail.co.uk
Email address:  rupert heesom camail co uk

When I try to connect to the mail server, I get this error msg:

"Unable to connect to POP server
Error sending password:  Bad login

Please enter the POP3 password for
rupert#heesom camail co uk pop3 heesom camail co uk"

It appears that Evo is catenating the mailbox name onto the mail server
name which usually works.

no, it's really not. the password prompt dialog concatenates the
username string and the domain string only to try and be helpful to you
in order to remind you which 'username' account it is prompting for.

For example, I have multiple accounts where my login is 'fejj'

if it simply asked for my password for 'fejj' I'd have no idea for which
account it was prompting me for, so it concatentates the domain to make
it clearer.

this does not mean that it is using 'fejj domain' as the login name when
authenticating to the server.

How do I/Evo handle mailbox names like "rupert#heesom.camail.co.uk" ??

it can handle it fine already.

as for the error message, perhaps you provided the wrong password? I
don't know...

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast