Re: [Evolution] Is virus protection required?

tir, 2003-01-14 kl. 16:17 skrev Dave Finnegan:

Should I be concerned that I could be receiving viruses now via my Linux
Evolution mail reader?

Of course you should. Up to now, it hasn't happened, but tomorrow it
will.

Up to now there have been Linux trojans that exploit known weaknesses in
Internet applications. A good firewall (understand Netfilter/iptables)
and good update practice, as well as keeeping up with what's recommended
(CERT, SANS, ISC, Red Hat updates etc) have been effective enough for
the security minded. I've got my own suspicions about Sun's StarOffice /
OpenOffice.orgs' preparedness, too.

But tomorrow there'll be some jerk/collection of jerks who knows how to
screw you.

The good news is, that he'll have to find out how to screw all Evo
people and all Mozilla people and all Imp people and all Pine people and
all ... sepataely, find out what they're using and produce something
special for each of them. The good news, is that, unless you're running
Evo as root, he won't be able to affect your system, as such.

The bad news is, that he'll sure as goodness try. he's trying already,
according to my firewall logs, but up to now he's been more or less
fixed on Windows, apart from the odd savvy one.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw