Re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] SIGSEGV on setting label - gdb output and analysis

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 09:48, Mika Liljeberg wrote:
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 10:03, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 01:23, Not Zed wrote:
[...]
Well, e_thread_destroy() empties the server_port message queue without
acquiring EThread.lock. Conceivably there could be a race there. I
sincerily hope it's not "just" random memory corruption. ;-)

Memory bugs are sometimes hard to find ... :-/

not if one uses valgrind ?!

I actually tried this, but my machine is way too slow. I'll leave the
grinding to folks with 5-digit bogomips scores. ;-)

yea, my box is way too slow for valgrind too. but even if I my box *was*
fast enough, valgrind isn't a magic solution that you can throw around
(wish it were tho). first you've got to be able to reproduce the memory
corruption, because valgrind won't find it unless it happens. then
you've got to figure out why the memory is being overwritten.

Jeff

Cheers,

      MikaL