Re: [Evolution] Built-in spam filtering?

cheers();

Great idea, but according to the Kmail handbook (Kmail does have
filtering on the server), you still have to download the headers in
order for the filters to work. So any message that you keep for download
is effectively downloaded twice - first to get the headers for the
filter, and then to get the message for your inbox.

Nope, the message isn't downloaded twice (or at least hasn't to). Even
with POP3 there is an (optional) command 'TOP n m' to get the header and
the first m lines of mail n. So 'TOP n 0' only gets the header.

Well, that does save some bandwidth, at least. Still, you are getting
the headers no matter what. It seems (if I understand right) that the
idea here is to make fetching mail work like fetching news...get all the
headers, filter them, then do a delete/fetch on the bodies once the
headers have been filtered. Is that what you have in mind?

Yep. But _I_ don't really have that in mind. That was intended as info,
cause you wrote 'first to get the headers for the filter' and stated, it
'is effectively downloaded twice'.

You only have to get the header twice. If and only if you can filter by
header. And I doubt, you can filter SPAM by header...

So for an effective SPAM filtering you do have to get all the mail and
filter it client-side.

...guenther