Re: [Evolution] mozilla and evolution

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 11:55, Reg HUGHSON wrote:
I know that evolution depends on some files from mozilla. I am running
mozilla 1.2.1 and evolution 1.2.2. I installed mozilla 1.3b and that
prevented evolution from loading (error - cannot initialize
configuration database - or something like that..turns out it screwed up
wombat). So re-installed mozilla 1.2.1 and all is well again.

Two questions:

1. How can I install mozilla 1.3b and still have evolution work?

How did you install mozilla 1.3b (from mozilla.org or an rpm), and what
distribution?  How are you installing evolution (ximian packages, or
distribution packages)?

Basically, I think the problem is due to evolution not finding
libnspr4.so and libnss3.so.  So, you need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
create links to the location the new install is placing the files, from
somewhere like /usr/lib.  Of course, if you are installing both mozilla
and evolution from packages provided by your distribution, then the
packager should be providing an updated evolution package to work with
the new mozilla package.

2. When I installed mozilla 1.3b, RPM told me that galeon depended on
some of the files so I upgraded that at the same time. Why wouldn't RPM
have told me that evolution depended upon some of those files as well?

This is hard to do, especially if you are installing mozilla from one
source and evolution from another.  Even if evolution says it requires
libnspr4.so and libnss3.so, the new mozilla package could still say it
provides it (satisfying the dependency), even if it is placing the files
into a different directory where evolution can't locate them.

TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger