[Evolution] Question about Evolution and model/view

After reading various whitepapers at http://developer.ximian.com/articles/whitepapers/ and searching the Evolution mail archives for "model/view," I find myself confused about something.  This is probably because I just don't understand the model/view abstraction very well.  I'm hoping someone who DOES can answer my question off the top of their head.  The whitepapers and email archives, which may be somewhat old, all tout the fact that the addressbook and calendar use a model/view separation (with wombat handling the data), but they imply that mail does not (or at least didn't at the time those documents were written).  But, they also talk about how the Evolution shell itself is designed as a model/view application.  Also, the ETable widget, which I *think* is used (e.g., for email), is claimed to have a model/view architecture.  So, I'm confused as to which parts of Evolution are technically considered to adhere to the model/view abstraction, which parts aren't, and how that might be expected to change (if at all) in the future.  I'd be grateful to anyone who could clear up my newbyish confusion...
--
Lee A. Smith <leeasmith seanet com>