Re: [Evolution] Evo memory use

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 15:22, Dan Stromberg wrote:
Imagine 10000 imap (evolution) clients of a single server.

I very much do not want all of them sorting on the server.  It makes
much more sense to distribute that load across the clients.

So you want to download the entire set of messages to all 10000 of your
clients and sort there? I do hope your network can cope with the
gratuitous extra traffic :)

This also frees clients to upgrade their own hardware if its too slow,
giving users more control - it can sometimes take an act of a minor
deity to get a server upgraded.

I wouldn't suggest that we no longer support local sorting -- we'll
always have to talk to servers which can't do it for us, &c. But we
should definitely be able to use server-side sorting if it's available.

--
dwmw2