[Evolution] Evolution 1.2.2: mail not sent to distribution lists

I've got several distribution lists that until recently worked just
fine. Now every time I try to send mail to any one of them, I get a
warning message that says

        You must specify recipients in order to send this message.

Opening the list shown several members. I've even tried to recreate the
list from scratch with the same behavior.

I've been using red-carpet to keep things in sync, and I think the
behavior started with a fairly recent upgrade to Evolution 1.2.2, but
I'm not precisely certain of that.

I've also noticed that spell checking appears to have been disabled
through no explicit action of my own.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

        Sean